Our Trails Committee works hard to identify and plan trail projects that create and maintain sustainable trails for all users based on best practices as defined by IMBA. The committee meets annually to plan and vote on a prioritized list of trail projects to work on for the season. We work closely with the land managers of Monte Sano State Park, North Alabama Landtrust, TVA and the US Space and Rocket Center. Know of any trail issues? Report them to us here or create a Trail Report on Trailforks…
Got some great ideas for new or improvement projects? Send us an email; You are always invited to participate in improving our trails! All Trail Work Days will be announced at facebook.com/sorbahuntsville and on our calendar page.
This is a list of the current/past projects:
- Sinks/Kieth’s/Logans/Mountain Mist Loop – Drainage and safety improvements by de-berming, re-establish bench cuts, adding grade dips and clearing loose roots and rocks. Several sub-projects within this include re-work of the Kieth’s re-route section from last year that stays wet, a possible re-route of the upper Sinks and junction with Mountain Mist down to Three benches.
- Landtrust (Wade Mountain NICA and Fleming trails 2017-current) – New 80 acre multi-use traditional single-track, flow and DH trails area.
- Keith’s Trail: About a quarter mile past Chestnut traveling in the counter clockwise direction, there is a short 100-foot section of trail that is steep, very rocky and eroded that needs rerouting so it does not keep getting worse.
Logan’s Point: Section of Logan’s Point Trail where it drops down to the Flat Rock Connector trail (no motor vehicle sign). This section of trail is steep, and the water runs straight down it. Each year it gets worse and worse, is no longer sustainable, and is becoming increasing dangerous for riders. A reroute is required and recommend this section be closed for rehabilitation. COMPLETED
Sinks: Top section of the Sinks trail from the mountain biker’s parking lot. Each year this section of trails gets further and further eroded as the water runs straight down this section of trail. Recommend a reroute of this top section of the trail. COMPLETED
Mountain Mist: Address water bar section of Mountain Mist Trail just past Sinks intersection (heading toward O’Shaughnessy) COMPLETED (Trail School Project)
These projects are under consideration:
4) Cold Springs: Develop a section of trail that connects Cold Springs Trail to Bankhead Parkway not far from Dummy Line trail. This will help keep bikers from having to travel on a busy road as far as they currently do to connect the two trails.
5) Dummy Line: Improve the short connector trail near the top of the Dummy Line Trail to the Tollgate Trail (Rocky Road) to ensure sustainability.
6) Mountain Mist: 100-foot section of trail just above the Goat connector trail is extremely eroded and rocky. Many riders walk it and several riders have gotten hurt on that section of trail. Improve its safety, rideability and sustainability.
Bankhead Trail: Trail is completed and rideable; improvements continue to be made with the addition of a bridge courtesy of a grant by the Huntsville Track Club and Polaris Industries. A trailhead kiosk is planned for 2017.
North Plateau Trail: This trail was destroyed in the December 2016 tornado that hit Monte Sano State Park. SORBA Huntsville mobilized almost 200 members and community volunteers to remove trees, root balls and debris, fill holes, create reroutes when needed and rebuild the trail, which is now open. Some issues may continue to need addressing.
Cold Springs Trail: The upper portion of this trail sustained damage in the December 2016 tornado. Volunteers cleared and rebuilt this portion of trail that is currently rideable.